Listed Buildings

How To Improve Energy Efficiency of Listed Buildings With Secondary Glazing

Looking For Prices? Send us your details for a quick quote...

Listed Buildings

Listed buildings are those that have been protected by law from any changes to the building without Listed Building Consent. Usually, work to the windows and doors will always need consent as the effect of the work may not be easily determined.

If you are the owner of a Listed Building, contact your local authority for an application form for Listed Building Consent. It is advisable to get some advice from the conservation officer before applying as if your application is likely to be rejected, this could save you time and money.

English Heritage are always notified of applications for work on Listed Buildings and they usually contact further bodies to discuss the most important applications. Normally, buildings listed Grade I or Grade II are of outstanding national interest and these are the applications that are usually rejected, but those with Grade III are often granted consent.

A decision on your application usually takes around 6‐8 weeks and you have 6 months to appeal any rejection to the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions.

English Heritage condone the use of secondary glazing and so even though, any changes you make on Listed Buildings need to be considered “like-­‐for-­‐like”, you may be allowed to upgrade your specifications to help boost insulation and draught-proofing, so long as you ensure that the character of the building as a whole is not affected. For more information, you may want to visit www.english-­ They have additional power in Greater London and different boroughs will vary. To contact you local authority, visit

error: Content is protected !!